Sunday, October 17, 2010

Octopus and Skull



I once saw a painting of Cthulhu and was completely creeped out by the tentacles on its face. The octopus is an utterly fascinating creature: intelligent, boneless, camouflaging chromatophores, there is a lot to admire about the octopus.

I wanted to put more detail in the head sac of the octopus; I had a few reference photos I was going to use to add some texture but I never got around to it. The skull came out kinda Neanderthalish. I considered a redraw, but once again, my innate slothfulness got the better of me. Here, I think that painters and digital artists have an advantage over the pen and pencil types. I think that the advantage of paints is that if you don't like something then it's just a matter of reapplying pigment. I realize that that is a really uninformed statement. The real point is I'm very lazy when it comes to drawing and because I can't seem to grasp the finer points of color my pictures come out flawed.

No comments:

Post a Comment