Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hulk v. Rhino


I've always vibed with the violent characters rather than the cerebral. As a youth I was attracted to death. I don't think that it was in an unhealthy or overly morbid preoccupation - I was just drawn to mostly photographs of death, particularly dead people. Outside of spiders, the occasional magnifying glass fried ant, and one unfortunate episode with a culvert full of frogs, I never went out of my way to harm anything. Yet violence was always a fixture of my environment. I got into a lot of fights growing up. I wasn't a bully, but I was keenly attuned to any weakness. I think that comic books were my first passion. I did not give a shit about sports as a kid, or music, or whatever. I did like Marvel comics, and in particular the Hulk. The Hulk only had one tool in his toolbox: the hammer. For him the hammer fixed everything. It was great, and I could relate on some primal level. He didn't want to talk, to find common ground, all he did was smash. Awesome. He was a force of nature that would lay waste to anything in his path. I loved it when he beat the snot out of some poor slob. There weren't many that could go toe to toe with the Hulk, but a few tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment